General information on Salo
Salo is a city of attractive and complementary opposites. We have peace and quiet as well as public events, intelligence as well as emotion, and open-minded technological expertise as well as a people-oriented attitude.
Salo is a city with around 51,000 inhabitants, 5,000 companies, and great transport connections to every direction. Both Helsinki and Turku are easily accessible from Salo, yet living is affordable, and the surrounding nature with amazing sea, river and lake views also attracts summer residents and tourists.
Salo has gained international fame for its diverse expertise in wireless data transfer. Moreover, our city has long traditions in the fields of agriculture and in metal and carpentry industries. Here you will find an abundance of shopping opportunities, and the best marketplace in Finland!
Salo in numbers
- Merger of ten municipalities on 1 January 2009
- Population: 50,696 (30 November 2022, Statistics Finland, preliminary population figure)
- Surface area: 2,168 km², of which 181 km² is water; more than 360 km of shoreline
- Income tax rate: 20.75
- Unemployment rate 9.9 % (31 December 2022)
- Number of council members: 51
- Council seats 2021–2025: SDP 11, Finns Party 11, Coalition Party 11, Centre Party 11, the Greens 4, Left Alliance 2, Liike Nyt 1
- Number of farms: approximately 880 (January 2022)
- Number of summer cottages: approximately 7,200 (January 2022)
- Distance from the Salo centre: Helsinki 115 km, Turku 50 km, Tampere 150 km, Inkoo 70 km, Hanko 85 km
For more information on the companies in Salo, see the website of Yrityssalo Ltd.